Successfully Implementing a Service Business Model in a Manufacturing Firm
Ivanka Visnjic, Bart van Looy - Working paper, released March 2013
Servitization: Disentangling the impact of service business model innovation on manufacturing firm performance Ivanka Visnjic, Bart Van Looy - Journal of Operations Management, In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 7 March 2013
- Thriving in Open Innovation Ecosystems: Towards a Collaborative Market Orientation
Chander Velu, Michael Barrett, Rajiv Kohli, Torsten Oliver Salge - Working Paper, released January 2013
- 'Enterprise Imaging: Representing Complex Multiorganizational Service Enterprises',
John Mills, Dr Valerie C Purchase, Dr Glenn Parry, released December 2012
- 'Factors Influencing Service Complexity: The Perspective of Servitized Manufacturers',
Ornella Benedettini and Andy Neely.
- 'Using Smart Objects to build the Internet of Things'
Tomás Sánchez López, Damith C. Ranasinghe, Mark Harrison, Duncan McFarlane
- 'Organising Servitization: an in-depth case study'
Taija Turunen and Andy Neely - Working Paper, released August 2012
- 'Business Model Diversity: The Case of Electric Vehicles', British Academy of Management conference, Cardiff. Clare Weiller, and Andy Neely, 2012
- 'Entry Timing Strategies in the Telecoms: The Impact of Founding CEO Background and Experience', British Academy of Management conference, Cardiff. Clare Weiller, M Pollitt, and Andy Neely, 2012
- 'Findings, Conclusions and Recommendations from a 2012 Global Survey of Major Organisations on Financial Performance Reporting and Disclosure', Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Performance Measurement, Cambridge. Nigel Youell, and Andy Neely, 2012
- 'Connected Performance: A New Approach to Managing and Improving Organisational Performance', Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Performance Measurement, Cambridge. Alan Meekings, Simon Povey, and Andy Neely, 2012
- 'Innovating Backwards: Reverse R&D Process In Service Innovation', DRUID Conference, Copenhagen. Ivanka Visnjic, Taija Turunen, and Andy Neely, 2012
- Complexity in services: an interpretative framework
Ornella Benedettini, Andy Neely - This paper was presented at POMS 23rd Annual Conference, 2012
- 'Factors Influencing Service Complexity: The Perspective of Servitized Manufacturers', 4th World conference Production & Operations Management, Amsterdam. Ornella Benedittini and Andy Neely, 2012
- 'Comparing Service Transformation Challenges in Manufacturing and Construction', 4th World conference Production & Operations Management, Amsterdam, Duncan McFarlane, Andy Neely, P Heffernan, Ivanka Visnjic, and Rachel Cuthbert, 2012
- 'Innovating Backwards: Reverse R&D Process In Service Innovation', 4th World conference Production & Operations Management, Amsterdam, Ivanka Visnjic, Taija Turunen, and Andy Neely, 2012
- 'Building an Empirically Grounded Framework of Complex Service Network Characteristics between Private and Public Sector Organizations', 4th World conference Production & Operations Management, Amsterdam, Zied Ouertani, John Mills, and Andy Neely, 2012
- 'A Framework for Distributed Intelligent Automation Systems Developments', 14th IFAC Symposium on Information Control Problems in Manufacturing, Bucharest, Romania, Duncan McFarlane, Ajith Parlikad, Andy Neely, and Alan Thorne, 2012
- Another Performance Paradox? A Refined View on the Performance Impact of Servitization'
Ivanka Visnjic, Andy Neely, Frank Wiengarten - This is a Working Paper
- 'Divine Innovation: Religion and Service Provision by Religious Organizations in India' Sriya Iyer, Chander Velu and Tirthankar Chakravarty - This is a Working Paper
- 'The Impact of Contract Type on Service Provider Information Requirements'. Rachel Cuthbert, Duncan McFarlane, Andy Neely - The paper explores the role of information in the servitization of manufacturing - Accepted for publication.
- 'Society’s Grand Challenges: What Role for Services?' Andy Neely - This is an academic working paper
- 'Business Model Innovations in Health Care' Sophie Tersago and Ivanka Visnjic - This is an academic working paper.
- 'Towards Understanding the Value of the Client’s Aspirations and Fears in Complex, Long-term Service Contracts', John Mills; Chapter in Complex Engineering Service Systems, Concepts and Research, Ng, I.; Parry, G.; Wild, P.; McFarlane, D.; Tasker, P. (Eds.), 2011.
- 'Enterprise Imaging: Visualising the Scope and Dependencies of Complex Service Enterprises', John Mills; Chapter in Complex Engineering Service Systems, Concepts and Research, Ng, I.; Parry, G.; Wild, P.; McFarlane, D.; Tasker, P. (Eds.), 2011.
- 'Will Intelligent Assets Take Off? Toward Self-Serving Aircraft' Alexandra Brintrup, Member IEEE, Duncan McFarlane, Damith Ranasinghe, Tomas Sanchez Lopez, University of Cambridge, Kenneth Owens, The Boeing Company, IEEE Intelligent Systems, May/June 2011, 66-75.
- Complex Service Systems – Identifying Drivers,
Characteristics and Success Factors' Andy Neely, Duncan McFarlane and Ivanka Visnjic, EuOMA Conference, Cambridge, 2011.
Increasingly organisations are looking to offer integrated solutions to their customers and need better frameworks for thinking about the complexity and hence the operational challenges of delivering these complex services. This paper seeks to provide a framework that scholars can use to explore the operational challenges of delivering complex services. [Click here for full paper.]
- 'Successfully Implementing a Service Business Model in a Manufacturing Firm' - Ivanka Visnjic, Bart Van Looy, EuOMA Conference, Cambridge, 2011.
This paper sets out to provide a conceptualisation of characteristics that determine the success of service business model implementation. Important findings include the need for manufacturers to possess the required skills set and to cultivate a capability referred to as 'front-line ambidexterity', by employing management with solution-oriented cognitive schemes, designing proportional incentive schemes for front-line employees and deploying integrative mechanisms between two businesses. [Click here for full abstract.]
- 'Visualization of service performance information: insights for management decisions' Jasser Al-Kassab, Andy Neely, Zied M Ouertani, Gionvanni Schuima, EuOMA Conference, Cambridge, 2011.
In this paper a better understanding of information visualisation is provided and its role and functions to visualise and report performance to support management decisions is discussed. Based on a case example of a major European apparel retailer, which implemented Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology in its supply chain as well as in its store, an illustration is provided of how the retailer manages operations using new methods of data capture and performance visualisation to eventually make decisions that impact on performance. [Click here for full abstract.]
- 'The Servitization of Manufacturing: Further Evidence', Andy Neely, Ornella Benedittini and Ivanka Visnjic, EuOMA Conference, Cambridge, 2011.
This paper expands previous studies in this field. Since 2007 the authors have been studying global trends in the servitization of manufacturing. New data, downloaded from the OSIRIS database, has been collected every two years: 2007, 2009 and 2011. This paper presents the 2011 data and includes a summary of recent servitization trends. [Click here for full paper.]
- 'Exploring the Service Paradox: How Servitization Impacts Performance of Manufacturers', Ivanka Visnjic, Andy Neely, accepted for presentation in a Divisional Paper session, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2011. [Click here for full abstract.]
- 'Can Manufacturers Become Service Providers? Fostering Complementarity between Products and Service', Ivanka Visnjic, Bart Van Looy, accepted for presentation in a Divisional Roundtable Paper Session, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2011. [Click here for full abstract.]
- 'Implementing Service Business Models within Manufacturing Firms: On Intersection of Activity System and Capability Perspectives' Ivanka Visnjic, Bart Van Looy, Strategic Management Society, 31st Annual International Conference 2011.
- 'Reconfiguring boundary relations: robotic innovations in pharmacy work' Barrett, M., Oborn, E., Orlikowski, W. and Yates, J, Organization Science. (2011 forthcoming.)
- 'Robots and service innovation in healthcare' Oborn, E., Barrett, M. and Darzi, A, Journal of Health Service Research and Policy. (2011 forthcoming).
- 'The Use of Information Technology as Value Co-creation: The Role of Contextual Use Variety and Means Drivenness', Irene C.L. Ng, Lei Guo and Yi Ding (2011), under review at academic journal, working paper.
- 'Challenges of using IT to support multi-disciplinary team decision making' Barrett, M. and Oborn, E. (2010). In Nutt, P. and Wilson, D. (eds.): Blackwell handbook of decision making. Oxford: Blackwell, pp. 403-30.
- 'Building unity in diversity: electronic patient record use in multidisciplinary practice' Oborn, E., Barrett, M. and Davidson, E. Information Systems Research (forthcoming).
- 'Value Co-creation in Complex Engineering Service Systems: Conceptual Foundations, in Forum on Markets and Marketing: Extending the Service Dominant Logic', Irene C.L. Ng, Glenn Parry, Laura Smith and Roger Maull, (2010), Cambridge, 24-26 September 2010.
- 'Value co-creation in the Delivery of Outcome-based Contracts for Business-to-Business Service', Irene C.L. Ng, Sai Nudurupati and Paul Tasker, under review at academic journal, working paper, at AIM Working Paper Series, WP No 77, May – 2010.
- 'The Three Value Cycles of Equipment Based Service', Laura Smith, Irene CL Ng and Roger Maull, (2010), University of Exeter Department of Management Discussion Paper Series 10/03, ISSN Number 1472-2939, under review at academic journal, working paper.
- 'Servitization and Operations Management: A Service Dominant Logic Approach' Roger Maull, Laura Smith and Irene C.L. Ng, under review at academic journal, working paper.
- 'The adoption of dispensing technology: an occasion for restructuring hospital pharmacy work', E. Oborn, and M. Barrett, (2008), International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 16(2): 109-114 (DOI: 10.1211/ijpp.16.2.0008).